- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Roast Turkey With Giblet Gravy Recipe
|Stuffing||2 Cup (32 tbs) (Of Choice, Adjust Quantity As Needed)|
|Ready to stuff turkey||14 Pound (1 Whole, Fresh / Frozen, Thawed)|
|Giblet gravy||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Adjust Quantity As Needed)|
|Salad oil||1 Tablespoon|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 10570 Calories from Fat 4661
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 517 g795.6%
Saturated Fat 139.3 g696.6%
Trans Fat 0.3 g
Cholesterol 4572.1 mg
Sodium 6522.8 mg271.8%
Total Carbohydrates 78 g25.9%
Dietary Fiber 12.7 g50.8%
Sugars 19.8 g
Protein 1315 g2630.7%
Vitamin A 29.3% Vitamin C 4%
Calcium 103% Iron 467.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Remove giblets and neck from turkey; reserve for Giblet Gravy. Rinse turkey with running cold water and drain well; pat dry with paper towels.
3. Spoon some stuffing lightly into neck cavity (do not pack stuffing; it expands during cooking). Fold neck skin over stuffing; fasten neck skin to back with 1 or 2 skewers. With turkey breast side up, lift wings toward neck, then fold them under back of turkey so they stay in place.
4. Spoon some stuffing lightly into body cavity.* Close by folding skin lightly over opening; skewer if necessary. Depending on brand of
turkey, with string, tie legs and tail together, or push drumsticks under band of skin, or use stuffing clamp.
5. Place turkey, breast side up, on rack in open roasting pan. Brush skin with salad oil. Cover turkey with a loose tent of foil so turkey does not brown too much. Insert meat thermometer through foil into thickest part of thigh, next to body, being careful that pointed end of thermometer does not touch bone. Roast turkey in 325°F. oven about 4 1/2 hours. Start checking turkey for doneness during last hour of roasting.
6. While turkey is roasting, prepare giblets and neck to use in Giblet Gravy.
7. To brown turkey, remove foil tent 20 to 30 minutes before turkey is done and, with pastry brush, brush turkey generously with pan drippings for attractive sheen. Turkey is done when thigh temperature on thermometer reaches 180° to 185°F. and thickest part of drumstick feels soft when pressed with fingers (protected by paper towels). (Breast temperature should be 170° to 175°F., stuffing temperature 160° to 165°F.)
8. When turkey is done, place on warm large platter; keep warm. Prepare Giblet Gravy.