- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Roast Turkey Nouvelle Recipe
|Turkey||12 Pound (Ready To Stuff, Fresh Or Frozen, Thawed, 1 Turkey)|
|Barley stuffing/Vegetable stuffing||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Pan juice gravy||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Watercress sprigs||1 (For Garnish)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 9326 Calories from Fat 3741
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 415 g639.1%
Saturated Fat 117.2 g586.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 3918.9 mg
Sodium 3814.7 mg158.9%
Total Carbohydrates 190 g63.5%
Dietary Fiber 19.7 g78.8%
Sugars 7.9 g
Protein 1140 g2280.6%
Vitamin A 8.9% Vitamin C 10.2%
Calcium 272.7% Iron 1020.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Remove giblets and neck from turkey; refrigerate for use another day. Rinse turkey with running cold water; pat dry with paper towels.
3. Spoon some stuffing into neck cavity (do not pack stuffing; it expands during cooking). Fold neck skin over stuffing; fasten neck skin to back with 1 or 2 skewers. With turkey breast side up, lift wings toward neck, then fold them under back of turkey so they stay in place.
4. Spoon remaining stuffing lightly into body cavity. Close, by folding skin lightly over opening; skewer if necessary. Depending on brand of turkey, with string tie legs and tail together, or push drumsticks under band of skin, or use stuffing clamp.
5. Place turkey, breast side up, on rack in open roasting pan. Cover turkey with a loose tent of foil. Insert meat thermometer through foil into thickest part of thigh next to body, being careful that pointed end of thermometer does not touch bone. Roast turkey in 325°F. oven about 4 hours. Start checking for doneness during last hour of roasting.
6. To brown turkey, remove foil tent 20 to 30 minutes before turkey is done and, with pastry brush, brush turkey with pan drippings for attractive sheen. Turkey is done when thigh temperature on thermometer reaches 180° to 185°F. and thickest part of drumstick feels soft when pressed with fingers (protected by paper towels). (Breast temperature should be 170° to 175°F., stuffing temperature 160° to 165°F.)
7. When turkey is done, place on warm large platter; keep warm.
8. Prepare Pan-Juice Gravy and serve with turkey.