- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Roast Turkey Recipe
|Turkey||12 Pound (Ready-To-Cook Weight, 1 Piece)|
|Herb stuffing/Oyster stuffing||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Melted fat||2 Tablespoon (Or As Required)|
Calories 449 Calories from Fat 210
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 23 g35.9%
Saturated Fat 6.2 g30.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 197.2 mg
Sodium 378.8 mg15.8%
Total Carbohydrates 0.8 g0.27%
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 56 g111.3%
Vitamin A 0.4% Vitamin C
Calcium 4.1% Iron 19.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Clean turkey (and cut off neck at body, leaving skin).
3. Rinse, drain and pat turkey dry with absorbent paper. Set aside.
4. Prepare Herb or Oyster Stuffing.
5. Rub cavities of turkey with salt.
6. Lightly fill body and neck cavities with stuffing. To close body cavity, sew or skewer and lace with cord. Fasten neck skin to back with skewer. Tie drumsticks to tail. Bring wing tips onto back. Brush skin thoroughly with melted fat.
7. Place breast up on rack in roasting pan.
8. If roast meat thermometer is used, place it in center of inside thigh muscle. When done, roast meat thermometer will register 190 °F. Place fat-moistened cheesecloth over top and sides of turkey. Keep cloth moist during roasting by brushing occasionally with fat from bottom of pan.
9. Roast uncovered at 325°F 4 to 4 1/2 hrs., or until turkey tests done (thickest part of drumstick feels soft when pressed with fingers. Protect fingers with cloth or paper napkin.) Remove turkey from oven. Remove roast meat thermometer and keep turkey hot. Allow to stand about 20 min. before serving. This makes it easier to carve the turkey and also allows time for last-minute preparations such as preparing gravy and garnishes.
10. Remove cord and skewers. Serve turkey on heated platter. Garnish with parsley and serve with Cranberry Sauce. If desired, put Paper Frills on drumsticks.