- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Roast Pork with Baked Apples Recipe
|Pork sparerib||3 Pound (1 Piece-11/2 Kilogram, Rind Well Scored)|
|Lard/White vegetable fat||2 Ounce (50 Grams)|
Calories 830 Calories from Fat 587
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 65 g100.5%
Saturated Fat 25.2 g126.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 190.4 mg
Sodium 238.4 mg9.9%
Total Carbohydrates 21 g7%
Dietary Fiber 3.6 g14.4%
Sugars 15.8 g
Protein 38 g76.8%
Vitamin A 2.9% Vitamin C 11.5%
Calcium 9% Iron 12.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Use a clean damp kitchen cloth to wipe the joint.
2. Rub salt all over the skin.
3. Place in a roasting pan and lard the joint or dot with vegetable fat.
4. Preheat he oven to 425Â°F (220Â°C or Gas No. 7)
5. Sear the joint in the preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes, turning and baste with the hot fat occasionally.
6. When the fat begins to sizzle, reduce the oven temperature to 350Â°F (180Â°C or Gas No. 4).
7. Roast the pork for about 150 minutes.
8. In the meantime, wash the apples, and core them without peeling using an apple corer or paring knife.
9. With tip of a paring knife, cut through the skin all around the circumference of each apple to prevent bursting when baking.
10. Arrange the apples in a roasting pan
11. Sprinkle each with 2 teaspoons of sugar and dollop with butter.
12. Add 1 tablespoon of water to the pan.
13. Place the apples in the oven with the roast during last hour of cooking, checking on them and removing when they are soft and caramelized.
14. During last 10 minutes of cooking the pork, increase oven temperature to make the crackling crisp.
15. Place the roasting on a heated platter.
16. Serve the pork with the baked apples and a gravy made with the drippings if you like.