- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Roast Pheasant Flambeed with Calvados Recipe
|Pheasants||2 , plucked and cleaned (Preferably Hen Birds, Ready For The Oven)|
|Onion||1 Large, quartered|
|Butter||2 Ounce (50 Gram)|
|Tart dessert apples||4 , peeled, cored and thickly sliced|
|Plain flour||1 Ounce (25 Gram)|
|Dry white wine||1⁄2 Pint (300 Milliliter)|
|Double cream||3 Fluid Ounce (75 Milliliter)|
|Chopped parsley||2 Tablespoon|
Calories 1166 Calories from Fat 539
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 60 g92.5%
Saturated Fat 18.2 g90.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 314.5 mg
Sodium 270.9 mg11.3%
Total Carbohydrates 37 g12.3%
Dietary Fiber 4 g16.1%
Sugars 19.8 g
Protein 93 g185.6%
Vitamin A 33.9% Vitamin C 413.1%
Calcium 17.7% Iron 30.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C /375°F/ Gas Mark 5.
2. Take a roasting tin and place the prepared (plucked and cleaned) the pheasants in it.
3. Stuff the birds with onion quarters along with a sprinkle of little salt and pepper and dot with the butter
4. In a preheated oven roast the birds for about 45 minutes such that the pheasants are cooked and tender.
5. To the tin add the apples 15-20 minutes before the end of the cooking time and continue cooking.
6. Take a warmed serving dish and transfer the pheasants from the roasting tin.
7. In a separate dish, place the apple slices and keep them hot.
8. To make the sauce, into the pan juices stir the flour and cook over moderate heat for 1 minute.
9. Add the dry white wine, bring it to a boil, with frequent stirring and the take off the heat.
10.In a small saucepan heat the Calvados such that just warm, set it alight slowly, let the flames die down and add it to the sauce.
11. Mix the cream and chopped parsley, season as per taste and then reheat the sauce gently without boiling.
12. Halve or carve the pheasant meat neatly.
13. Serve the pheasants with the apple slices and a little of the sauce and keep the remaining sauce in a separate bowl.