- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Roast Partridge with Wild Rice Recipe
|Partridge||4 Small, trussed ready for roasting and larded with streaky bacon rashers|
|Flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (To Dredge)|
|For the wild rice:|
|Stock||1 Pint (6 Deciliter)|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Freshly ground pepper||To Taste|
|Wild rice||4 Ounce (100 Grams)|
|Long grain rice||6 Ounce (175 Grams)|
|Butter||1 1⁄2 Ounce (40 Grams)|
|Button mushrooms||1⁄2 Pound (225 Grams)|
|Finely chopped parsley||2 Tablespoon|
|Green grapes||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (To Garnish)|
Calories 1927 Calories from Fat 764
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 85 g130.8%
Saturated Fat 27.5 g137.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 592.1 mg
Sodium 1249.4 mg52.1%
Total Carbohydrates 83 g27.5%
Dietary Fiber 5 g20%
Sugars 9.2 g
Protein 196 g392.6%
Vitamin A 46.8% Vitamin C 105.9%
Calcium 15.4% Iron 66.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Place wild rice in a colander and wash in cold running water 3-4 times. Drain well.
2. Peel and chop the onions finely.
3. To make the wild rice, into a saucepan, measure and pour the stock, adding seasonings to taste.
4. Stir in the wild rice and onion and let soak for 30 minutes.
5. Wash and drain the wild rice.
6. Trim and slice the mushrooms and set aside.
7. Preheat the oven to 400Â°F (200Â°C or Gas No. 6)
8. Place the saucepan with soaked rice on a medium heat and bring the stock to a boil, stirring occasionally to prevent the rice from sticking to the pan.
9. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pan and simmer rice for 20 minutes.
10. Add long grain rice and continue to simmer for another 20 minutes, stirring once or twice.
11. In the mean time, in a frying pan, sautÃ© the mushrooms in melted butter.
12. When rice is almost cooked, add mushrooms and parsley.
13. Use a fork to mix and fluff the rice. Keep warm.
14. Meanwhile to roast the partridges, arrange them in a roasting pan.
15. Place on middle level of the preheated oven.
16. Roast them for 30 minutes.
17. 10 minutes before end of cooking time, remove the bacon rashers.
18. Baste the brids with the pan dripping and dredge them with flour.
19. Return them to the oven until they are tender and lightly browned.
20. When cooked, lift patridges from the pan and place on a serving platter.
21. Remove strings and skewers used to truss the birds.
22. Surround the birds with the fluffed wild rice with mushrooms
23. Garnish with green grapes and serve.