- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Roast Leg Of Lamb with Orzo Recipe
|Lamb leg||7 Pound (1 Leg)|
|Garlic||4 Clove (20 gm), peeled and cut in half lengthwise|
|Oregano||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), crushed|
|Freshly ground pepper||2 Tablespoon|
|Lemon juice||2 Tablespoon (Juice Of 2 Lemon)|
|Orzo pasta||1 Pound|
|Cooking oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Boiling water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Onions||2 Medium, quartered|
|Kefalotyri||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), shredded or grated|
Calories 691 Calories from Fat 373
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 41 g63.8%
Saturated Fat 19.2 g95.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 177.7 mg
Sodium 585.9 mg24.4%
Total Carbohydrates 30 g9.9%
Dietary Fiber 2.6 g10.5%
Sugars 2.5 g
Protein 48 g95.5%
Vitamin A 3.1% Vitamin C 7.5%
Calcium 7.5% Iron 29.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Combine oregano, 1 tablespoon salt, and the pepper. Rub this all over the lamb. Fold the four sides of foil up to form a cuff. Pour on lemon juice. Seal the foil and refrigerate at least 6 hours, or preferably overnight.
3. Place leg of lamb on a rack in a roasting pan.
4. Roast in a 450°F oven 20 minutes. Turn oven control to 350°F. Roast until meat is cooked as desired; a meat thermometer inserted in the leg will register 160 °F for medium and 170°F to 180°F for well-done meat.
5. Remove from roasting pan to a carving board. Keep warm. When ready to serve, slice meat on the diagonal. Save the pan drippings to use for making gravy.
6. Prepare orzo by boiling it according to directions on the package, adding cooking oil and 1 tablespoon salt. Drain. Rinse under hot water.
7. To make gravy for the orzo, remove the fat from the pan drippings. Add boiling water while stirring with a spoon to loosen drippings on bottom of the pan. Add onions.
8. Bake at 350°F 15 minutes.
9. Pour the gravy with onions into a blender and puree. Return to the roasting pan. Combine the orzo with the gravy. Toss quickly. Serve with shredded kefalotyri as an accompaniment to the lamb.