- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Roast Lamb, Middle Eastern Style Recipe
|Lamb leg||5 Pound (1 Leg)|
|Green onions||1 Bunch (100 gm), finely chopped|
|Lemon||1 Large, finely chopped|
|Fresh mint||1⁄4 Bunch (25 gm), finely chopped (1 Small Bunch)|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon, freshly ground|
|Water||3 Cup (48 tbs), boiling|
Calories 1294 Calories from Fat 785
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 87 g133.9%
Saturated Fat 43.6 g217.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 430.9 mg
Sodium 960.1 mg40%
Total Carbohydrates 16 g5.4%
Dietary Fiber 2.8 g11.1%
Sugars 0.6 g
Protein 106 g213%
Vitamin A 25.4% Vitamin C 49.3%
Calcium 9.1% Iron 58.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Preheat the oven to 425° F.
2) Trim off all lamb fat leaving a thin layer.
3) In shallow roasting pan, place the lamb with the trimmed side up.
4) In a bowl, blend the finely chopped onions, lemon and mint leaves with 1 teaspoon of the salt and pepper.
5) Press the mixture over the lamb and reserve 1/4 cup mixture.
6) Place roasting pan on a rack in the oven and pour 3 cups boiling water into the pan.
7) Roast in preheated oven for 15 minutes, then lower the heat to 325° F and roast for 1 hour and 45 minutes, basting occasionally with water in pan.
8) Remove the roast on a heated serving platter, then sprinkle with the reserved green onion mixture and keep warm.
9) In a 4-cup measure, strain liquid in the roasting pan and allow to stand for 5 minutes. Skim off the fat, return liquid into the roasting pan and bring to a boil.
10) In a cup, blend the flour with 1/2 cup cold water, then stir into the bubbling liquid. Stir constantly and cook until the mixture is thick and bubbles for 3 minutes.
11) Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and pour in a heated gravy boat.
12) Garnish the platter with lemon wedges and green onions, if desired and serve with the gravy.