- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Roast Hen Turkey With German Style Dressing Recipe
|Turkey hen||12 Pound, cleaned (1 Whole)|
|Seasoned stuffing mix||12 Ounce (2 Bags 6 Ounces Each, Dressing)|
|Bulk sausage||1 1⁄2 Pound, cooked until crumbly (With Drippings)|
|Pippin apples||3 , peeled and diced (California)|
|Celery||1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped|
|Onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
|Water/Turkey broth||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
Calories 766 Calories from Fat 342
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 38 g58.4%
Saturated Fat 11.3 g56.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 292.6 mg
Sodium 542.3 mg22.6%
Total Carbohydrates 18 g6.2%
Dietary Fiber 2.1 g8.5%
Sugars 5.5 g
Protein 83 g166%
Vitamin A 1.3% Vitamin C 3.4%
Calcium 7.3% Iron 35%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Preheat the oven to 325° F
2. Rub salt and pepper on inside and out of turkey.
3. Seal the body cavities with a skewer or stitch with needle and kitchen thread.
4. Place trussed turkey, breast-side down, on roasting rack over a pan to catch the drippings.
5. Roast in preheated oven for 2 to 2 1/2 hours, basting the bird frequently with the pan drippings to prevent it from drying.
6. Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, combine dressing mix with cooked sausage and drippings and remaining ingredients.
7. Stir it toss to mix the ingredients well
8. Once browned, transfer roasted bird to meat board while draining off the drippings in the pan.
9. Return the turkey, breast-up, in roasting pan and surround it with the prepared dressing.
10. Return to oven and continue roasting for another1 hour until meat is tender or reaches temperature of 185°F in thigh portion. The dressing should also be browned and crisp
11. Place the turkey on a serving platter.
12. Spoon the dressing around it.
13. Carve bird at the table and serve with the dressing.