- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Roast Goose With Rice And Pickle Stuffing Recipe
|Cooked rice/1 package 6 ounces seasoned white and wild rice mix, cooked following package directions||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Herb seasoned stuffing croutons||7 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Navel oranges||2 Medium, pared and sectioned|
|Onions||2 , chopped|
|Cranberries||1 Cup (16 tbs), rinsed, sorted, and chopped|
|Sweet mixed pickles||1 Cup (16 tbs), drained and chopped|
|Sweet pickle liquid||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), melted|
|Brown sugar||2 Tablespoon|
|Goose||10 Pound (1 Piece)|
|Ground black pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Light corn syrup||2 Tablespoon|
|Orange juice||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Orange marmalade||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 21081 Calories from Fat 15793
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 1753 g2696.5%
Saturated Fat 562.4 g2812.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 4166.5 mg
Sodium 14396.4 mg599.9%
Total Carbohydrates 514 g171.4%
Dietary Fiber 22.3 g89.1%
Sugars 279.9 g
Protein 773 g1545.1%
Vitamin A 172.3% Vitamin C 1090.7%
Calcium 96.1% Iron 689.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Rinse goose and remove any large layers of fat from the body cavity. Pat dry with absorbent paper. Rub body and neck cavities with salt and pepper.
3. Lightly spoon stuffing into the neck and body cavities. Overlap neck cavity with the skin and skewer to back of goose. Close body cavity with skewers and lace with cord. Loop cord around legs; tighten slightly and tie to a skewer inserted in the back above tail. Rub skin of goose with a little salt, if desired.
4. Put remaining stuffing into a greased casserole and cover; or cook in heavy-duty aluminum foil. Set in oven with goose during final hour of roasting.
5. Place goose, breast side down, on a rack in a large shallow roasting pan.
6. Roast in a 325°F oven 2 hours, removing fat from pan several times during this period.
7. Turn goose, breast side up. Blend corn syrup and 1 cup orange juice. Brush generously over goose. Roast about 1 1/2 hours, or until goose tests done. To test for doneness, move leg gently by grasping end of bone; when done, drumstick-thigh joint moves easily or twists out. Brush frequently during final roasting period with the orange-syrup blend.
8. Transfer goose to a heated serving platter. Spoon 2 tablespoons drippings, the remaining 1/2 cup orange juice, and marmalade into a small saucepan. Heat thoroughly, stirring to blend. Pour into a serving dish or gravy boat to accompany goose.