- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Roast Gammon with Crackling Recipe
|Danish unsmoked gammon corner||2 Kilogram (4 Lb Piece)|
Calories 378 Calories from Fat 191
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 21 g32.6%
Saturated Fat 7.6 g38%
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 304 mg12.7%
Total Carbohydrates 0.6 g0.2%
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0.6 g
Protein 46 g92.4%
Vitamin A Vitamin C
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. If a strong cured, smoked gammon joint is used, soak it overnight to subdue the flavor Rinse thoroughly
2. Dry the gammon with a clean kitchen towel.
3. Using a sharp knife, score the rind in a criss-cross pattern.
4. Preheat the oven to 350Â°F (180Â°C or Gas No. 4)
5. Wrap the joint tightly in kitchen foil and place in a roasting tin.
6. Place the roasting pan in the centre of preheated oven.
7. Roast, allowing 20 minutes per pound plus another 20 minutes extra.
8. After the first 20 minutes of roasting, cut open the foil and pull it back to expose the gammon to direct heat.
9. Continue to roast for remaining time, basting the gammon occassionally with the drippings and pan juices.
10. During last 15 minutes of roasting, increase the oven temperature to 425Â°F (220Â°C or Gas No. 7) to brown the fat.
11. Remove the joint from the tin when the crackling is brown and crisp.
12. Serve the gammon hot, with fresh green vegetables and new potatoes.