- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Roast Chicken With Oatmeal Stuffing And Chicken Vol Au Vent Recipe
|Roasting chicken||2 1⁄2 Pound|
|Bacon streaky rashers||1|
|Flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Beef suet||3 Ounce, shredded|
|Onion||1 Large, finely chopped|
Calories 1223 Calories from Fat 698
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 81 g123.8%
Saturated Fat 31.7 g158.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 251.9 mg
Sodium 398 mg16.6%
Total Carbohydrates 63 g21%
Dietary Fiber 5.3 g21.4%
Sugars 3.5 g
Protein 60 g119.7%
Vitamin A 14.6% Vitamin C 18.9%
Calcium 48.1% Iron 150.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) In case a frozen bird is being used, allow it about 8 hours to thaw out. Wash the bird and pat dry it with a clean cloth. With some salt, rub the bird’s insides and rub the outside with a cut lemon.
2) Preheat oven to temperature of 380 degrees.
3) Into a basin, measure the oatmeal and add the onion, suet and seasoning, Mix properly.
4) With some of the stuffing, stuff the neck cavity of the bird. Over the stuffing underneath the bird, pull the neck skin, twist the wing tips forward and under. Use a skewer to secure.
5) In a roasting tin, place the prepared bird. With some of the butter or dripping, smear the chicken’s body and place the remaining in the tin. In case the bird is being cooked unstuffed, place another 2 ounce lump of butter inside the bird so that it stays moist.
6) With trimmed bacon rashers and a piece of foil, cover the breast of the chicken.
7) In the center of the preheated oven, place the bird and roast, allowing 20 minutes for 1 pound, and 20 more minutes. Baste frequently.
8) Nearly ¼ hour before the cooking is done, remove the bacon rashers and foil. With some flour, dredge the breast and put it back in the oven so that it can brown well.
9) Make the gravy with the stock made from giblets.
10) Serve hot with roast potatoes, bread sauce and cauliflower.