- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Roast Chicken with Oatmeal Stuffing Recipe
|Oven ready chicken||4 Pound (2 Kilogram)|
|Butter/White vegetable fat||1 Tablespoon (To Baste)|
|For the stuffing:|
|Onion||1 Large, peeled, finely chopped|
|Oatmeal||6 Ounce (175 Grams)|
|Shredded suet/Vegetable fat||3 Ounce (75 Grams)|
|Salt||To Taste (For The Stuffing:)|
|Freshly ground pepper||To Taste|
Calories 482 Calories from Fat 223
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 26 g40.4%
Saturated Fat 9.9 g49.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 154 mg
Sodium 870.3 mg36.3%
Total Carbohydrates 22 g7.4%
Dietary Fiber 2.1 g8.4%
Sugars 1.7 g
Protein 43 g86.7%
Vitamin A 5% Vitamin C 4.9%
Calcium 26.1% Iron 75.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Clean the chicken cavity wipe with paper toweling.
2. Preheat the oven to 375Â°F (190Â°C or Gas No. 5)
3. To make the stuffing, in a bowl, combine onion, oatmeal, suet or vegetable fat and seasonings
4. Stir using a fork to mix well.
5. Stuff the bird with this mixture, spoon a little into the neck and the rest into the body cavity.
6. To truss the bird, pull back the neck skin over the open end of the cavity, twist the wings so that they lie under the bird, then secure the neck skin and wings underneath with a skewer.
7. Close the tail end with a skewer and tie the legs firmly in position with kitchen twine.
8. Place the bird in a roasting pan.
9. Rub butter over the exposed surface.
10. Cover the pan with wax paper and place it on the middle level of the preheated oven.
11. Roast the bird for about 80 minutes, removing the buttered paper halfway through cooking time and baste the bird occasionally with the pan juices until it is tender and browned.
12. Check for doneness by piercing the tip of a sharp knife into the thickest portion of the thigh. The juices must run clean and the meat must be tender.
13. Remove from oven and let the bird rest for 10 minutes before serving.
14. Remove the skewers and the twine used to truss the bird.
15. Place in a casserole pouring the buttery juices over the bird.
16. Carve into serving portions and serve with the stuffing and spoon the juices on top.
17. Accompany with a bread sauce and gravy if you like.