- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Ripe Tomato Preserves Recipe
|Sugar||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Lemons||2 , thinly sliced|
|Whole cloves||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Whole allspice||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground ginger||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3303 Calories from Fat 22
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 3 g3.9%
Saturated Fat 0.42 g2.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 1023.1 mg42.6%
Total Carbohydrates 853 g284.4%
Dietary Fiber 18.4 g73.6%
Sugars 823.3 g
Protein 10 g19.8%
Vitamin A 152.3% Vitamin C 343.4%
Calcium 21.1% Iron 22.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Scald tomatoes, skin and weigh them.
2. Cut large tomatoes into half.
3. In a large bowl, place tomatoes and cover with sugar; let stand overnight in a cool place.
4. Next morning, drain juice.
5. In a cheesecloth bag, put together lemon (seeds discarded), salt and spices; tie the bag.
6. In a large kettle, pour tomato juice and place the spice bag; boil for 10 minutes.
7. Add tomatoes and cook with constant stirring until mixture is thick and clear.
8. Remove and discard spice bag.
9. Into hot sterilized jars, pour mixture leaving 1/8 inch empty on top.
10. Using a clean and dry kitchen towel, wipe the rim of jar and adjust lid.
11. Into a canner of boiling water, place the jars and process for 5 minutes.
12. Remove jars and place over a clean towel.
13. Let the jars cool down and seal completely until they are self-sealing type.
14. Serve Red Raspberry Preserves with bread or toast.