- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Ridge Gourd or Chinese Okra Curry - Turiya Choli Nu Shak Recipe Video
|Ridge gourd||2 Cup (32 tbs), peeled, cubed|
|Long green beans/Split green gram||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Pea seeds from inside the beans used)|
|Green beans||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Frozen green beans used)|
|Mustard seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Green chili paste||1⁄2 Teaspoon (Use as per your taste)|
|Garlic paste||1 Teaspoon (Use as per your taste)|
|Garam masala||1⁄2 Teaspoon (Optional)|
|Turmeric powder||1 Pinch|
|Brown sugar/White sugar||1 Tablespoon|
|Fresh cilantro||1 Tablespoon, chopped finely|
Calories 128 Calories from Fat 73
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 8 g12.8%
Saturated Fat 1 g5.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 320.8 mg13.4%
Total Carbohydrates 13 g4.3%
Dietary Fiber 3.5 g13.9%
Sugars 5.7 g
Protein 3 g5.3%
Vitamin A 10.8% Vitamin C 23.1%
Calcium 2.8% Iron 2.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
Things You Will Need1. Pressure cooker
1. Take the ridge gourds, peel them and chop them into cubes. Wash, rinse very well and set aside.
2. Take the long beans, slit it and take out the pea seeds from inside into a bowl. These peas are used in the curry. Also add some frozen green beans to the bowl.
3. Wash and rinse all the vegetables well.
4. Into a heated pressure cooker pot, add a couple of tablespoons of oil. When the oil is warm, add the mustard seeds.
5. When the mustard seeds splutter add the vegetables and stir well.
6. Add the green chili paste, garlic paste, garam masala (optional), salt and a pinch of turmeric powder. Mix all the spices well with the vegetables and let it cook.
7. Do not add water as the vegetables release a lot of water in which the curry may be cooked. Close the pressure cooker and cook till you hear about 4 to 5 whistles of pressure release.
8. Once done, open the pressure cooker after all the pressure inside is gone. Add the finely chopped fresh cilantro and sugar. Stir and the curry is ready to serve.
9. Serve the dish warm with rice and roti.
Any of the lentils or beans may be used for cooking this dish.