- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Rice Cake for Chuseok (Songpyeon) Recipe Video
|Frozen rice powder||2 Pound, ground and sifted (room temperature)|
|Strawbery jell-o||1 Pinch|
|Dried and skinned mung beans||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), rinse under cold water|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|White sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Roasted sesame seeds||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), ground|
|Brown sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Pine needles||2 Cup (32 tbs), washed and drained|
|Sesame oil||2 Tablespoon|
Calories 750 Calories from Fat 101
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 12 g18.1%
Saturated Fat 2 g9.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 237.7 mg9.9%
Total Carbohydrates 147 g48.9%
Dietary Fiber 6.6 g26.5%
Sugars 17.6 g
Protein 13 g26.2%
Vitamin A 0.2% Vitamin C 4.6%
Calcium 12.1% Iron 14.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In 3 bowls, A, B and C, put 1 cup of sifted rice flour in each bowl.
2. Add in 1 pinch of salt in each bowl.
3. In bowl A, put 3 tablespoons of boiling water and mix it with wooden spoon, and knead with hands for 5 minutes or until feels like touching your earlobe.
4. Wrap the dough in a plastic wrap and set aside.
5. In bowl B, put in mugwort and 3.5 tablespoons of boiling water and mix it with wooden spoon, and knead with hands for 5 minutes.
6. Wrap the dough in a plastic wrap and set aside.
7. In bowl C, put in jell-o and 3 tablespoons of boiling water and mix it with wooden spoon, and knead with hands for 5 minutes
8. Wrap the dough in a plastic wrap and set aside.
9. Let all the dough sit for about 30 minutes.
10. In a thick bottom pot over very low heat, put the rinsed moong beans, cold water and salt, allow to cook foe 30 minutes.
11. Turn off the heat and crush it with back of a spoon.
12. Transfer into a bowl and allow it to cool.
13. Add in white sugar in the moong beans and mix well with a spoon.
14. In a bowl, put the ground sesame seeds, brown sugar, salt,
15. Make a small ball with dough A of about 1 inch diameter, press the centre to make depression and put in about 1 teaspoon of filling, bring the sides together and press to seal.
16. Do the same with the remaining dough and filling.
17. In a steamer, put 4 cups of water and bring it to a boil.
18. Place a piece of damp cloth in steamer tray, and spread some of the pine needles.
19. Place the dumplings and put some more pine needles on top.
20. Cover the steamer and steam the dumplings for 25 minutes over medium high heat.
21. Put the dumpling in a bowl of cold water and sprinkle with sesame oil.
22. Drain the dumpling.
23. Serve Songpyeon in the bed of pine needles.
Pine needles stop the songpyeon from sticking together and give them a good flavor.