- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Rice With Spinach And Water Chestnuts Recipe
|Onion||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chopped|
|Short grain brown rice||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), cooked (Organically Grown)|
|Liquid from rice/Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Liquid/Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (From Rice)|
|Water chestnuts||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), sliced|
|Frozen chopped spinach||10 Ounce, cooked, drained (1 Package)|
|Frozen chopped spinach||10 Ounce, cooked and drained (1 Package)|
|Cheese||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), shredded|
Calories 376 Calories from Fat 124
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 15 g22.7%
Saturated Fat 7.7 g38.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 33.7 mg
Sodium 238.6 mg9.9%
Total Carbohydrates 59 g19.6%
Dietary Fiber 6.5 g26%
Sugars 2.3 g
Protein 9 g18.5%
Vitamin A 140.3% Vitamin C 34.7%
Calcium 14.1% Iron 11.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Grease a 2-quart casserole with butter.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 degree F.
1. In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat.
2. Add and sautÃ© onion till soft and transparent.
3. Add the cooked rice and chestnuts and toss lightly but thoroughly to mix.
4. Pour in reserved rice cooking liquid or water and add salt to taste and stir lightly.
5. Empty the frozen spinach packet into the pan and stir lightly, simmering until it wilts and moisture evaporates.
6. Turn the rice into the casserole dish.
7. Top with cheese.
8. Place the casserole in the preheated oven and bake for 10 to 15 minutes until heated through and cheese on top melts and browns in specs.
9. Take the dish straight from the over to the table and enjoy the rice while hot as a side to the main dish.