- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Rice and Vegetable Torte Recipe
|Brown rice||4 Cup (64 tbs), cooked (About 1 1/2 Cups Raw)|
|Parmesan cheese||5 Ounce (Room Temperature)|
|Mozzarella cheese||8 Ounce, well chilled|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm)|
|Eggplant||1 Pound, unpeeled|
|Zucchini||12 Ounce, scrubbed (About 2 Medium)|
|Dry basil||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Dry oregano||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|White pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon, freshly ground|
|Tomatoes||12 Ounce (About 2 Medium)|
|Paprika||1 Teaspoon (Or As Required)|
Calories 737 Calories from Fat 176
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 20 g31%
Saturated Fat 10.2 g50.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 116.4 mg
Sodium 817.5 mg34.1%
Total Carbohydrates 109 g36.5%
Dietary Fiber 9.8 g39.3%
Sugars 6.6 g
Protein 31 g61.9%
Vitamin A 32.4% Vitamin C 38.2%
Calcium 58.6% Iron 25.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Preheat oven to 350Â°F.
2) In a food processor bowl with a metal blade, process the Parmesan cheese until finely grated, keep aside.
3) In a processor bowl with shredding disc, process the mozzarella cheese until shredded, keep aside.
4) In a processor bowl with a metal blade, process the garlic and onion until finely chopped.
4) In a 3-quart dutch oven or large frying pan, saute the onion in 3 tablespoons oil for about 2 minutes.
5) In a processor bowl with a thin or medium slicing disc, process the eggplant until sliced.
6) Stir into the dutch oven and cook over a medium heat for about 10 minutes, stirring often until the vegetables are soft.
7) Process the zucchini until sliced and stir into the dutch oven.
8) Stir in basil, oregano, salt and pepper, then cook for about 6 minutes until the zucchini is soft.
9) In a processor bowl with a metal blade, process the tomatoes until coarsely chopped. Remove in a colander to drain.
10) Then stir into the skillet and simmer for about 15 minutes stirring frequently until almost dry, then allow to cool.
11) In a large mixing bowl, mix the brown rice, 1 egg, 1 cup Parmesan and half the mozzarella cheese.
12) In a well-oiled 9-inch springform pan, press half the rice mixture at the bottom.
13) Stir 1 egg and 1/4 cup Parmesan into the vegetable mixture and spoon over the rice.
14) Top with rest of the rice mixture and press to form an even layer.
15) Scatter over rest of the mozzarella cheese and sprinkle with the paprika .
16) Bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour.
17) Remove from oven and allow to stand for 10 minutes in the pan.
18) Slice into wedges and serve immediately.