- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Rice and Pineapple Salad Recipe
|Long grain rice||4 Ounce|
|Oil vinegar||5 Tablespoon|
|Green pepper||1 Small|
|Seedless raisins||2 Tablespoon|
Calories 857 Calories from Fat 159
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 18 g28%
Saturated Fat 2.3 g11.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 13.6 mg0.6%
Total Carbohydrates 182 g60.7%
Dietary Fiber 14.1 g56.2%
Sugars 99.1 g
Protein 10 g19.1%
Vitamin A 14.8% Vitamin C 774.2%
Calcium 13.9% Iron 20%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Finely chop the pineapple rings into bits.
2. Halve, deseed and finely chop the green pepper.
3. Wash, trim and shred the spring onions.
4. In a colander or sieve, place the rice
5. Wash under cold tap water and drain thoroughly, 3 to 4 times well.
6. In a saucepan, bring water to a rapid boil, adding a generously pinch of salt.
7. Slowly add rice to the boiling water.
8. Let boil rapidly for 8 minutes, stirring once in a while, to prevent grains from stick to the base of the pan.
9. Test for doneness by pinching a grain between the thumb and forefinger, it should be tender at the core.
10. Drain the rice into a colander and refresh under running hot water for a few seconds, to free the grains from the starchy cooking water.
11. Fluff with a fork and add 3 tablespoons of the dressing.
12. Toss lightly to coat the rice and set aside until cold.
13. In a salad bowl, combine the rice with remaining ingredients, adding the remaining dressing.
14. Toss lightly but thoroughly.
15. Serve the salad cold with cold meat or poultry, or with any cold dish or with curry.