- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Rice and Brown Lentil Soup Recipe
|Mustard seeds||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Curry powder||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Carrots||2 Cup (32 tbs), chopped|
|Cooked brown rice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cooked brown lentils||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Water||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Green pepper||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), chopped|
|Ground coriander||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Salt||2 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
Calories 440 Calories from Fat 181
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 21 g31.7%
Saturated Fat 2.7 g13.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 1261 mg52.5%
Total Carbohydrates 51 g17.1%
Dietary Fiber 19.4 g77.6%
Sugars 5.8 g
Protein 15 g29.8%
Vitamin A 216.3% Vitamin C 45.6%
Calcium 8.5% Iron 28.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a large heavy bottomed saucepan or a stock pot, heat the oil over a medium flame.
2. When the oil is hot, add the mustard seed and wait till they begin to splutter.
3. Add the turmeric and curry powder and sauté for 30 seconds.
4. Further add the carrots and sauté them with the spices for 3-4 minutes until they are soft.
5. Add the brown rice and lentils and stir to mix with the spices and carrots.
6. Pour in the water and add the remaining ingredients together, stirring to mix well.
7. Reduce the flame and simmer to soup for 15 minutes until well heater.
8. Ladle the hot soup into deep dish soup plates or large soup bowls.