- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Rice and Beans Recipe Video
|Long grain white rice||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Black eyed peas||2 Cup (32 tbs) (or any kind of beans/peas)|
|Baking soda||1 Teaspoon (or Ghana waakey leaves)|
|Black pepper||1 Teaspoon|
|Water||10 Cup (160 tbs)|
Calories 424 Calories from Fat 14
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 2 g2.5%
Saturated Fat 0.44 g2.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 329.2 mg13.7%
Total Carbohydrates 84 g28%
Dietary Fiber 7.2 g28.8%
Sugars 0.1 g
Protein 18 g36.2%
Vitamin A 0.8% Vitamin C 2%
Calcium 7.2% Iron 36.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Soak the beans or peas overnight. Drain and rinse the next day.
2. Rinse the rice and keep aside.
3. In a large cooking pot or rice cooker, combine the peas with enough cold water to cover them by two inches.
4. Add baking soda and bay leaves. Bring it to a boil. Cover and let it cook for about 30-60 minutes or until tender.
5. Stir in the rice and reduce water if necessary. You will only need 3 cups of water for 2 cups of rice.
6. Add salt and pepper and let it simmer for 20 minutes or until all liquid has been totally absorbed.
7. Remove from heat and serve hot with stew and enjoy!.
Instead of soaking overnight you can boil the beans for 5 minutes and then soak for 1 hour.