- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Rice and Beans Recipe
|Red kidney beans||8 Ounce, dried (250 Gram)|
|Coconut milk||1 Pint (600 Milliliter)|
|Fresh thyme sprigs||2|
|Spring onions||2 , finely chopped|
|Fresh green chilies||1 , deseeded and finely chopped|
|Long grain rice||1 Pound (500 Gram)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3520 Calories from Fat 1001
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 120 g184%
Saturated Fat 102.6 g512.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 506 mg21.1%
Total Carbohydrates 530 g176.6%
Dietary Fiber 46.6 g186.2%
Sugars 22 g
Protein 93 g186.2%
Vitamin A 12.1% Vitamin C 99.9%
Calcium 34.6% Iron 155.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) In a large bowl, soak the red kidney beans in cold water overnight.
2) In a large pan, cook the kidney beans in 900 ml / 1 1/2 pints boiling water for about 30 minutes, until almost tender.
3) Stir in the coconut milk, spring onions, thyme, chili, salt and pepper to taste, then bring to a boil and boil rapidly for 5 minutes.
4) Stir in the rice and gently simmer over a low heat for about 20-25 minutes until almost dry, drain the rice and beans if required.
5) Spoon into a serving dish and serve immediately.