- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Ribollita Bread Soup Recipe
|Extra virgin olive oil||2 Tablespoon (Plus Some For Drizzling At The Table)|
|Garlic||4 Clove (20 gm), chopped (Large Cloves)|
|Onion||1 Medium, chopped|
|Carrots||2 , peeled and diced|
|Celery ribs||2 , chopped|
|Bay leaf||1 (Fresh Or Dried, Fresh Bay Is Available In Herb Section Of Larger Markets)|
|Coarse salt||To Taste|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Canned white beans||30 Ounce (Small Beans, Such As Goya Brand,2 Cans-15 Ounces Each)|
|Chicken stock||6 Cup (96 tbs) (Broth)|
|Tomato sauce||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Italian bread||3 Cup (48 tbs), crust removed and bread torn into pieces (about half a loaf) (Stale, Chewy)|
|White onion||1 Small, thinly sliced or finely chopped (For Garnish)|
|Parmigiano reggiano cheese||1 Cup (16 tbs), grated|
Calories 1127 Calories from Fat 233
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 27 g42.2%
Saturated Fat 8.6 g42.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 38.4 mg
Sodium 1737 mg72.4%
Total Carbohydrates 177 g58.9%
Dietary Fiber 18.6 g74.5%
Sugars 25.5 g
Protein 53 g105.8%
Vitamin A 121.5% Vitamin C 44.5%
Calcium 63.9% Iron 69%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a deep, heavy-bottomed pot over moderate heat season with salt and pepper and sauté garlic, onion, carrots, celery and bay leaf to pot such that veggies begin to soften, 5 to 7 minutes.
2. Adding beans, stock and tomato sauce, cover pot and bring soup to a boil over medium-high heat.
3. Removing lid stir in torn stale bread and continue stirring to incorporate bread as it breaks down.
4. When soup gets thick and the bread is distributed evenly, adjust seasonings and in shallow bowls serve the soup.
5. With either more or less bread or more or less stock or water make yours as thick or thin as you like.
6. To serve garnish shallow bowlfuls of soup with raw onion, a drizzle of olive oil, and a generous sprinkling of grated Parmigiano Reggiano.
Sometimes ribollitas are so thick that the spoon can stand upright.