- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Rhubarb Gingerbread Upside Down Cake Recipe
|Unsalted butter||1 Ounce (30 Gram)|
|Light brown sugar||6 Tablespoon|
|Fresh rhubarb/Frozen rhubarb, thawed, coarsely chopped||8 Ounce, coarsely chopped (250 Gram)|
|Plain flour||5 Ounce|
|Wholemeal flour||2 Ounce|
|Bicarbonate of soda||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground ginger||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1 Teaspoon|
|Grated nutmeg||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Dry mustard||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ground cloves||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Dark molasses||5 1⁄2 Ounce (165 Gram)|
|Pure vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
Calories 523 Calories from Fat 72
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 8 g12.7%
Saturated Fat 4.4 g22.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 68.1 mg
Sodium 364.8 mg15.2%
Total Carbohydrates 105 g35%
Dietary Fiber 4.7 g18.6%
Sugars 51.2 g
Protein 6 g12.9%
Vitamin A 6.1% Vitamin C 8.2%
Calcium 35.8% Iron 37.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) In a 23 cm (9 inch) glass pie plate, melt butter by microwaving it for 45 seconds on high.
2) Spread it to coat evenly over the bottom of the plate and then dust with brown sugar.
3) Sprinkle rhubarb over the sugar.
4) Take a large bowl and mix together plain flour, wholemeal flour, bicarbonate of soda, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, mustard, cloves and salt in it.
5) Take another bowl and combine egg, molasses, vanilla and 12.5 cl (4 fl oz) of hot water in it.
6) Mix this with dry ingredients to form a smooth batter.
7) Pour this batter into the pie plate and cook in microwave for 10 minutes on high, rotating the dish every 3 minutes.
8) Take off the cake from oven and keep aside for 5 minutes.
9) Release the edges of cake using the tip of a knife and then unmold onto a serving plate upside down without removing the pie plate.
10) Allow the cake to stand for 5 minutes more and remove the pie plate.
11) Slice and serve warm.