- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Reuben Casserole Recipe
|Sauerkraut||1 Pound (1 package)|
|Thousand island dressing||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (bottled)|
|Chopped green pepper||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (frozen or fresh)|
|Chopped onion||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (frozen or fresh)|
|Caraway seeds||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Corned beef||12 Ounce (1 can)|
|Swiss cheese||8 Ounce (1 package)|
|Rye bread slices||4 Large (oval)|
|Prepared dijon style mustard||4 Teaspoon|
Calories 650 Calories from Fat 358
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 41 g62.7%
Saturated Fat 16 g79.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 111.6 mg
Sodium 1588.2 mg66.2%
Total Carbohydrates 38 g12.7%
Dietary Fiber 6.5 g26.1%
Sugars 9.7 g
Protein 32 g63.3%
Vitamin A 12.6% Vitamin C 52.1%
Calcium 52.3% Iron 19.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Preheat oven to 375F.
2. Cut corned beef into 1-inch cubes
3. Grease a 12-by-8-by-2-inch baking dish or 2-quart shallow casserole.
4. In large strainer or colander, rinse sauerkraut under cold water and squeeze out excess liquid and place in large bowl.
5. Using two forks toss sauerkraut with salad dressing.
6. Stir adding green pepper, onion and caraway seeds until mixture is well combined.
7. Toss lightly add the cut beef cubes to sauerkraut mixture to mix.
8. Reserving 1 slice cheese, place one-third of corned-beef mixture on bottom and cover with half of remaining cheese slices.
9. Repeat layering of corned-beef mixture and cheese and spread remaining corned-beef mixture on top.
10. Cut each slice of rye bread crosswise into three equal triangles and spread one side of each with mustard.
11. Reserve the 4 triangles from center of bread and arrange 8 triangles, crust side up, around edge of casserole, placing mustard side toward center of dish and tucking triangles well into corned-beef mixture.
12. Cover casserole loosely with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
13. Cut remaining slice of cheese in half crosswise and cut each half diagonally to make 4 triangles in all.
14. On top of each reserved bread triangle place a cheese triangle.
15. Remove foil from casserole, overlap reserved cheese-bread triangles on top of casserole and bake 10 minutes longer until bread points begin to brown slightly.
16. Serve the casserole along with sauce of your choice or as desired.