- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
French Onion Soup Gratinee Recipe
|Sourdough bread||2 Cup (32 tbs), cubed|
|Olive oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Thyme||5 Tablespoon, chopped|
|Rosemary||3 Tablespoon, chopped|
|Black pepper||To Taste|
|Vidalia onions||3 Large, sliced|
|Garlic||4 Clove (20 gm)|
|Dry sherry||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Chicken broth||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Beef broth/Veal stock||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Gruyere cheese||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), grated|
Calories 1134 Calories from Fat 297
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 34 g51.9%
Saturated Fat 12.8 g64%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 56.9 mg
Sodium 2541 mg105.9%
Total Carbohydrates 163 g54.4%
Dietary Fiber 17.8 g71%
Sugars 35.3 g
Protein 44 g87.4%
Vitamin A 34.2% Vitamin C 162.2%
Calcium 91.5% Iron 49.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Preheat the oven to 350° F.
2. Preheat the broiler.
3. On a baking sheet, arrange the cubed bread.
4. Drizzle 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
5. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon each of thyme and rosemary.
6. Season with salt and pepper.
7. Bake for about 15 minutes until crisp; shake pan occasionally.
8. Keep them aside.
9. In a large heavy pot, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-low heat.
10. Add onions and cook until lightly browned.
11. Then cook for about 45 minutes to caramelize, stir occasionally.
12. Add garlic and cook for another 1 minute.
13. Increase the heat and add sherry in the pan.
14. Rapidly bring it to boil.
15. Pour broths and bring it to a boil over high heat.
16. Cover the pan.
17. Simmer gently over reduced heat for 20 minutes.
18. Add remaining thyme and rosemary.
19. Add more salt and pepper, if desired.
20. On a baking sheet, lay 4 ovenproof bowls.
21. Pour in the soup leaving 1/2 inch from the rim.
22. Serve plenty of onions in each bowl.
23. Top with a handful of croutons.
24. Cover croutons with grated cheese.
25. Place the crocks under a preheated broiler, about 3 inches from the heat source.
26. Boil until bubbly and golden brown.
27. Serve immediately.