- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Relatively Quick Greens in Potlikker Recipe
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Ham hocks/Hog jowls||1 Pound, smoked|
|Onions||2 Medium, chopped|
|Garlic cloves||6 Large, slivered|
|Whole black peppercorns||12|
|Dried hot red peppers||2|
|Bay leaf||1 (Imported)|
|Greens||3 Pound, trimmed of tough stems and coarsely chopped (Collards, Kale, Mustard Or Turnip)|
|White distilled vinegar/Cider vinegar||1 Tablespoon (As Required, For Serving)|
Calories 310 Calories from Fat 170
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 19 g29.2%
Saturated Fat 5.1 g25.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 36.7 mg
Sodium 595.3 mg24.8%
Total Carbohydrates 22 g7.2%
Dietary Fiber 10 g40.1%
Sugars 4.9 g
Protein 18 g35%
Vitamin A 296.4% Vitamin C 134.9%
Calcium 29.8% Iron 36.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) In a large saucepan, add oil and heat up over moderate heat.
2) Add the ham hocks, onions and garlic.
3) Cook by frequent stirring for 10 minutes, or until the onions are golden.
4) In a square of cheesecloth, tie the peppercorns, hot peppers, thyme, bay leaf and parsley.
5) Place into the saucepan along with 4 quarts of water.
6) Bring the water to a boil, skim if necessary.
7) Lower the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour.
8) SautÃ© the greens and simmer, uncovered, for an hour or until tender.
9) In a bowl, transfer the greens.
10) Increase the heat to high and boil to reduce the liquid to 2 cups.
11) Place back the greens into the pot and heat up for 3 to 5 minutes.
12) In small bowls, ladle the greens and some potlikker.
13) Serve as a side dish and pass the vinegar in a cruet on the side to sprinkle on the greens.