- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Refried Mexican Beans Recipe
|Kidney beans/Pinto beans||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Grated cheese||2 Cup (32 tbs) (Cheddar / Longhorn Etc)|
Calories 1158 Calories from Fat 330
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 38 g57.9%
Saturated Fat 21.9 g109.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 109.8 mg
Sodium 2899.2 mg120.8%
Total Carbohydrates 118 g39.3%
Dietary Fiber 28 g111.9%
Sugars 5 g
Protein 89 g178.9%
Vitamin A 11% Vitamin C 13.8%
Calcium 153.7% Iron 74.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a stock pot or sauce pan, soak the beans in sufficient water, overnight.
2. Boil the soaked beans for 1 hour or pressure cook them for 20 minutes until they are fork tender. Drain the beans reserving the liquid and keep aside until required.
3. Preheat the oven to 350°F, 15 minutes before cooking time.
4. Grease a baking dish or casserole with oil or butter.
5. In a food processor or blender jar, combine the cooked beans with salt and a little of the cooking liquid.
6. Pulse the beans to a smooth thick paste, adding a little liquid if required, to adjust the consistency.
7. Turn the mixture into the greased baking dish and spread evenly.
8. Generously sprinkle the grated cheese over the bean mixture.
9. Place the baking dish on the middle level in the preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes until well heated and the cheese has melted and is bubbly.
10. Use this as a filling for tacos or burritos as a dip with corn chips, a spread for burgers or as a side dish if you like.