- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Redcurrant Jelly Recipe
|Red currants||2 1⁄2 Quart|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sugar||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 4420 Calories from Fat 40
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 5 g7.3%
Saturated Fat 0.4 g2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 23.7 mg1%
Total Carbohydrates 1126 g375.4%
Dietary Fiber 101.7 g406.7%
Sugars 973.6 g
Protein 33 g66.2%
Vitamin A 19.9% Vitamin C 1615.9%
Calcium 78.9% Iron 131.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Without removing stems of red currants, wash them clean.
2. In a large kettle, place currants and pour water just to cover; cook over high heat and bring to boil.
3. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Into a jelly bag, pour the mixture and let juice drip; collect 4 cups of juice.
5. Return juice to the kettle and stir in sugar; quickly boil to jellying state.
6. Remove kettle from heat; quickly skim foam from top.
7. Into hot sterilized jars, pour jelly leaving 1/8 inch empty on top of the jar.
8. Using a clean and dry kitchen towel, wipe the rim of jar and adjust lid.
9. Into a canner of boiling water, place the jars and process for about 5 minutes; start noting processing time after water in the canner returns to boiling.
10. Remove jars and place over a clean towel.
11. Let the jars cool down and seal completely until they are self-sealing type.
12. Alternately, hot mixture can be poured into sterilized jelly glasses leaving ½ inch on top.
13. Immediately pour melted paraffin to cover 1/8 inch of bottle.
14. Serve Redcurrant Jelly with lamb dish.