- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Red Pepper Corn and Eggplant Stuffing Recipe
|Turkey/Chicken stock||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs) (Unsalted)|
|Virgin olive oil||3 Teaspoon|
|Mushrooms||3⁄4 Pound, quartered|
|Eggplants||2 Medium, unpeeled, cut into 1/2-inch cubes to make about 8 cups|
|Unsalted butter||2 Teaspoon|
|Leek/2 medium onions, chopped||1 Large, trimmed and chopped|
|Chopped shallots||2 Tablespoon|
|Red peppers||2 , seeded, deribbed and cut into 1/2-by-1-inch strips|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), finely chopped|
|Chopped basil/1 teaspoon dried basil||1 Tablespoon|
|Chopped fresh rosemary/1/8 teaspoon dried rosemary||1 Teaspoon|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Red wine vinegar||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Uncooked corn kernels||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs), cut from about 5 ears of fresh corn|
|Dry bread crumbs||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
Calories 771 Calories from Fat 141
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 16 g23.9%
Saturated Fat 3.7 g18.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 59.4 mg
Sodium 423 mg17.6%
Total Carbohydrates 120 g40.1%
Dietary Fiber 28.5 g114%
Sugars 12 g
Protein 38 g75.4%
Vitamin A 63.4% Vitamin C 160.4%
Calcium 13.9% Iron 27.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a medium saucepan, bring the stock to a boil over medium heat.
2. Lower the heat and simmer the stock until it is reduced to half. Keep aside for later use.
3. In a large, heavy-bottomed skillet, heat 2 teaspoons of the olive oil, over medium flame.
4. Put in the mushrooms and sauté them for about 1 minute.
5. Add the eggplant to the mushrooms in the pan and season with salt.
6. Cover the pan and cook the eggplant for 5 minutes until it releases all its moisture.
7. Uncover the pan and continue cooking, for another 10 minutes till all the moisture evaporates.
8. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl.
9. Place the skillet back on the burner.
10. Heat the remaining 1 teaspoon of olive oil and the butter over medium heat.
11. Add the leek or onions sauté and cook covered for 1 minute.
12. Uncover and add the shallots, peppers, garlic, basil, rosemary, lemon juice and vinegar. Cook for 2 minutes till the peppers are soft.
13. Combine this mixture with the eggplant-and-mushroom mixture.
14. To this mixture, add the corn, bread crumbs and stock and mix well. The stuffing should be thick but not sticky. If it is sticky, add more bread crumbs.
15. Allow the stuffing to cool before using as a filling. You can store the mixture in a covered bowl in the refrigerator, until required.