- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Red Pepper and Chicken Spirals Recipe
|Chicken breast halves||4 , skinned, boned, the long triangular fillets removed and reserved for another use, lightly pounded to 1/4-inch thickness|
|Crushed sichuan peppercorns/1/4 teaspoon crushed black peppercorns||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Scallions||3 , blanched|
|Cucumber||1 , peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded, cut into 1/4-inch-wide strips, blanched for 30 seconds, drained, cooled and patted dry|
|Sweet red pepper||1 , seeded, deribbed, cut into 1/2-inch strips, blanched for 2 minutes, drained and patted dry|
|Safflower oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Mirin sauce||1 Tablespoon|
|Low sodium soy sauce||3 Tablespoon|
|Mirin/2 tablespoon dry sherry||2 Tablespoon|
|Rice vinegar||2 Teaspoon|
Calories 291 Calories from Fat 45
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 5 g8%
Saturated Fat 0.87 g4.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 99.8 mg
Sodium 536.2 mg22.3%
Total Carbohydrates 17 g5.7%
Dietary Fiber 1.1 g4.6%
Sugars 9.9 g
Protein 42 g83.5%
Vitamin A 23.6% Vitamin C 76%
Calcium 4.1% Iron 11.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, sugar, mirin or sherry, vinegar, crushed peppercorns and 3 tablespoons of water for the sauce and keep aside.
2) Season the chicken with salt and crushed peppercorns.
3) Fit the scallions, cucumber strips and pepper strips inside the breast halves by cutting them but saving 2-3 strips of each vegetable to arrange across the wide edge of each cutlet.
4) Make the chicken into rolls around the vegetables and tie each roll with a small skewer, lengthwise.
5) Take a heavy-bottomed skillet, heat oil in it over medium heat and sauté the rolls gently for about four minutes, tossing them until golden and remove it from the skillet.
6) Stir in the sauce to the skillet, scraping up any brown bits from the bottom.
7) Put the chicken back to the skillet, boil for eight minutes covering loosely, tossing once.
8) Take a heated platter and transfer the chicken to it after removing the skewers.
9) Spoon the sauce over the rolls and serve hot immediately.