- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Red Chile Filets with Smoky Barbecue Sauce and Spicy Mashed Potatoes Recipe
|For red chile rub|
|Dried red pepper flakes||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Dried oregano||1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Red chile powder||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Pure One)|
|For the smoky barbecue sauce|
|Mignon steaks||32 Ounce (4 Fillets Of 9 Ounce Each)|
|All spice||1 Teaspoon|
|Coriander seeds||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Cider vinegar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Olive oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||4 Clove (20 gm), minced|
|Onion||1⁄2 , minced|
|Brown sugar||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Dark molasses||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Worcestershire sauce||1 Teaspoon|
|Negra modelo beer/Dark beer||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Pureed canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Tomato ketchup||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|New potatoes||1 1⁄2 Pound, diced|
|Milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Red chile powder||2 Teaspoon (Or To Taste)|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), roasted and mashed|
|Cilantro||1 Teaspoon, minced|
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
Calories 1249 Calories from Fat 610
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 68 g105%
Saturated Fat 23.6 g118%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 168.6 mg56.2%
Sodium 1648.5 mg68.7%
Total Carbohydrates 95 g31.7%
Dietary Fiber 12.4 g49.4%
Sugars 52.2 g
Protein 53 g105%
Vitamin A 24.3% Vitamin C 52.9%
Calcium 36.3% Iron 46.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) In a dry skillet, add red pepper flakes, oregano and dry toast for about 2 minutes. Pulse the spice mix in a blender to a fine powder.
2) Transfer to a bowl, add sugar and salt and mix well. Rub the red chile powder into the mignon steaks. Let it rest covered for about 30 minutes at room temperature.
3) In a saucepan, add all spice, cloves, coriander and vinegar. Let the mixture come to a boil. When it has reduced to half its quantity, strain and keep aside.
4)) In another saucepan, heat oil and saute garlic and onion over medium flame for about 4 minutes. Add in the brown sugar and cook the mixture for about 1 minute until the sugar melts. Next, add in molasses, worcestershire sauce and beer to deglaze the pan.
5) Add in the chipotle chile puree and the spice-vinegar mixture and let cook over reduced flame for about 45 minutes. Add in the tomato ketchup and cook for another 15 minutes. Strain the mixture into a saucepan and keep warm on low flame.
6) In a saucepan, boil water along with salt and add in the potatoes cooking for about 15 minutes on low boil until the potatoes turn soft. Drain the potatoes and tranfer to a large mixing bowl.
7) In a saucepan, heat milk, butter, red chile powder and garlic. Add the mixture to the potatoes. Mash the potatoes with a hand blender into a smooth or lumpy paste, as you desire. Season with salt and keep warm till serving time. Add in the cilantro at the last minute before serving.
8) Add some oil to the marinated filets and rub over them lightly so they do not stick to the grill.
9) Grill the filets for about 6 minutes per side for medium-rare and about 7 minutes for medium. Keep the grill on medium-high temperature and not high to prevent the spice rub from burning.
10) Pour the barbecue sauce on a warm serving plate, place the steak over it on the centre of the plate. The mashed potatoes can be served on the side.