- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Red Cabbage with Orange Recipe
|Red cabbage||1 1⁄2 Pound (700 Gram)|
|Garlic clove||1 Small|
|Caster sugar||2 Ounce (50 Gram)|
|Wine vinegar||3 Tablespoon|
|Pepper||To Taste, freshly milled|
|Butter||1 Ounce (25 Gram)|
Calories 214 Calories from Fat 55
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 6 g9.6%
Saturated Fat 3.7 g18.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 15.2 mg
Sodium 148.1 mg6.2%
Total Carbohydrates 39 g13%
Dietary Fiber 6 g24.1%
Sugars 29.3 g
Protein 3 g6.9%
Vitamin A 45.1% Vitamin C 225.6%
Calcium 12.2% Iron 8.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Strip the outer leaves from the red cabbage and discard.
2. Cut the cabbage into quarters, remove and discard the core.
3. Finely shred the cabbage with a sharp knife or in the food processor if you like. .
4. Place in a bowl of cold salted water and wash.
5. Drain thoroughly in a colander.
6. Peel the onion and chop it finely.
7. Peel the papery coating of the garlic and mince it finely.
8. Grate the rind of the oranges and then halve and squeeze out the juice, discarding the pips.
9. In a large basin, tip the cabbage, orange juice, rind, onion, garlic, vinegar, sugar and a good amount of seasonings.
10. Cover the bowl and place in a cool dry place to marinate for several hours, preferably overnight, tossing the ingredients occasionally.
11. In a large heavy saucepan or Dutch oven, melt the butter.
12. Add the marinated red cabbage mixture.
Place the pan on a medium heat and bring to a boil.
13. Cover and simmer on a low heat for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally, until the liquid has been absorbed and the cabbage mixture is dry and a bit syrupy.
14. Serve the cabbage warm or cold as a side to roast pork, duck or game.