- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Red Cabbage And Beet Slaw Salad With Currant Dressing Recipe
|Red cabbage||1 Pound, trimmed of core, then shredded with knife|
|Sliced beets||1 Can (10 oz), drained and sliced into sticks (julienned)|
|Walnut pieces||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Dried currants||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), dried (A Couple Handfuls)|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Apple cider vinegar/White vinegar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Brown sugar||3 Tablespoon|
|Red currant jelly||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Prepared)|
|Extra virgin olive oil/Vegetable oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
Calories 888 Calories from Fat 611
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 67 g103.5%
Saturated Fat 5.1 g25.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 161.5 mg6.7%
Total Carbohydrates 60 g20%
Dietary Fiber 9.9 g39.5%
Sugars 40.5 g
Protein 13 g25.6%
Vitamin A 25.4% Vitamin C 108.4%
Calcium 10.1% Iron 18.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) In a salad bowl, mix cabbage and beets, and sprinkle with walnuts.
2) Heat a small pot, add currants, water, lemon juice, vinegar and brown sugar, and bring to a boil.
3) Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir to dissolve sugar and transfer mixture to a bowl.
4) Mix in currant jelly and oil. Pour it over slaw salad.
5) Season with salt and pepper and toss to coat evenly with dressing.
6) Add more seasoning if needed and serve.
7) Serve immediately or serve chilled.
The salad can be stored up to 3 days in the refrigerator.