- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Red Cabbage And Apple Tarts - This Week's Feast Recipe Video
|Red cabbage head||1 Medium, quartered, cored, shredded|
|Apples||2 Medium, julienned|
|Red onions||1 Medium, chopped (Optional)|
|Garlic cloves||2 Medium, minced|
|Chives||4 Tablespoon, chopped (3 - 4 Tbsp)|
|White wine/Apple cider vinegar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon (1 -2 Tbsp)|
|Pie crust||1 Medium|
|Gorgonzola cheese/Goat cheese||2 Teaspoon (As needed to top 4 tarts)|
|Balsamic vinegar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Reduced to about 2 - 3 Tbsp)|
|For the egg wash|
|For greasing the ramekins|
|Olive oil||2 Teaspoon (As needed for greasing)|
Calories 695 Calories from Fat 239
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 27 g41.2%
Saturated Fat 8.3 g41.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 48.7 mg
Sodium 592.8 mg24.7%
Total Carbohydrates 106 g35.4%
Dietary Fiber 17 g68.1%
Sugars 46 g
Protein 14 g28.4%
Vitamin A 154.9% Vitamin C 619.5%
Calcium 34.8% Iron 36.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
Things You Will Need1. Ramekins (oven-safe dishes)
1. Grease 4 small ramekins (oven-safe dishes). Set aside.
2. In a dry pan, cook cabbage and apple with honey, salt and pepper over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally (if using red onion, add it now).
3. Add garlic and chives. Cook 2 - 3 minutes.
4. Add wine, turn heat to high and cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid has been absorbed, about 4 minutes.
5. Remove from heat. Add olive oil, stir.
6. Divide cabbage mixture and put into the greased dishes.
7. Divide pie crust into 4 discs. Roll out. Top ramekins with crust, crimp around edges, as shown in the video. Cut four vent holes in top of each tart with the point of a knife.
8. Whisk egg with water. Brush just a little over pie crust.
9. Bake (in an oven toaster) at 350 F for about 30 minutes, or until crust is flaky and baked.
10. Meanwhile, bring balsamic vinegar to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, and cook until the liquid is reduced, thickened and syrupy. (Be careful not to burn it)
11. Top each tart with some gorgonzola cheese and a drizzle of reduced balsamic vinegar.
12. Serve the tarts with a steak salad (spinach, arugula and lettuce topped with a sliced steak and some homemade gorgonzola dressing) or a regular green salad, roasted chicken, bacon or beef (or chicken) crostini as per your choice.