- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Red Cabbage Recipe
|Red cabbage||3 Pound|
|Black salt/2 ounce sea salt||3 Ounce|
|Spiced vinegar||3 Pint|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2246 Calories from Fat 57
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 6 g9.3%
Saturated Fat 0.29 g1.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 3820.7 mg159.2%
Total Carbohydrates 542 g180.6%
Dietary Fiber 28.6 g114.3%
Sugars 478.4 g
Protein 20 g40.8%
Vitamin A 303.7% Vitamin C 1292.8%
Calcium 61.2% Iron 60.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Trim cabbage by discarding rough outer leaves and stalks.
2) Shred big leaves into 1/4-inch pieces.
3) Slice the cabbage top and press the cabbage on a board with the cut side down and then shred in thicker slices.
4) In deep bowls, arrange cabbage and salt in layers, sprinkling about 1 oz. salt per lb. cabbage.
5) Keep this aside for a whole night and on the next day, drain cabbage in a colander to remove excess water.
6) Pack cabbage less tightly into 1 lb. jars and top with cold, spiced vinegar.
7) Tightly wrap with thick polythene or waxed paper and keep aside in a cool, dark place to store.
8) Use as required.