- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Ratatouille Pie With Basil Crust Recipe
|For basil crust|
|All purpose flour||72 Teaspoon|
|Vegetable shortening||6 Tablespoon|
|Red wine vinegar||1 Teaspoon|
|Cold water||3 Tablespoon|
|Chopped fresh basil||2 Tablespoon|
|Eggplant||1 1⁄2 Pound (1 Large One)|
|Extra virgin olive oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Zucchini||1 Pound, sliced (2 Small Sized Ones)|
|Unsalted butter||1 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 Large, thinly sliced|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), minced (2 Large Ones)|
|Green bell pepper||1 Medium, thinly sliced|
|Red bell pepper||1 Medium, thinly sliced|
|Tomatoes||2 Medium, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch wedges|
|Ground black pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Hungarian paprika||1⁄2 Teaspoon (Hot)|
|Chopped parsley||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Grated fontina cheese||6 Ounce (2 Cups, Italian)|
|Freshly grated parmesan cheese||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Egg white||1 , lightly beaten|
Calories 1181 Calories from Fat 655
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 73 g112.2%
Saturated Fat 21 g105.1%
Trans Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 117.4 mg
Sodium 1227 mg51.1%
Total Carbohydrates 100 g33.3%
Dietary Fiber 13.1 g52.6%
Sugars 15.5 g
Protein 33 g66.4%
Vitamin A 61.6% Vitamin C 186.4%
Calcium 51.2% Iron 35.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Prepare the ratatouille: Halve the eggplant lengthwise and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Put the eggplant in a colander, sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and let stand for 30 minutes. Pat the eggplant dry with damp paper towels to remove the salt.
3. In a large heavy skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over moderately high heat. Add the eggplant slices in batches and saute, tossing, until golden, about 2 1/2 minutes per side. Repeat with the remaining eggplant, adding up to 5 tablespoons more oil as needed. Drain the eggplant on paper towels, then transfer to a bowl.
4. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil to the same skillet, add the zucchini and cook over high heat, tossing constantly, until golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce the heat to moderate and cook until soft, about 3 minutes longer. Drain and add to the eggplant in the bowl.
5. Wipe the skillet clean. Add the butter and melt over moderate heat. Add the onion and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the garlic and green and red bell peppers, cover and cook until the peppers are soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, the black pepper and paprika. Increase the heat to high and cook until all the liquid has evaporated, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the eggplant, zucchini, parsley and basil; mix well.
6. Preheat the oven to 425°. Spoon one-third of the ratatouille into a buttered 10-inch glass or ceramic quiche dish. Sprinkle with one-third each of the Fontina and Parmesan cheeses. Continue layering until all the ingredients are used, ending with the Parmesan cheese.
7. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured board and lay it over the dish. Trim and flute the edges. Cut a slash in the center of the pie. Brush with the beaten egg white and bake for 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.