- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Rarebit Strata Recipe
|Vegetable cooking spray/Vegetable oil||4|
|Cooking oil/Cooking spray||1 Tablespoon|
|Italian bread loaf||1 Pound (1 Loaf, About 15 Inches Long)|
|1% low fat milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Finely grated gruyere cheese/Finely grated swiss / reduced-fat cheddar cheese||4 Ounce|
|Gruyere cheese/Swiss / reduced fat cheddar cheese||4 Ounce, finely grated|
|Dry mustard||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Grated parmesan cheese||2 Tablespoon|
Calories 541 Calories from Fat 179
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 20 g31.1%
Saturated Fat 9.3 g46.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 115.2 mg
Sodium 938.3 mg39.1%
Total Carbohydrates 61 g20.3%
Dietary Fiber 3.1 g12.3%
Sugars 4.4 g
Protein 28 g56.4%
Vitamin A 5.3% Vitamin C 0.01%
Calcium 30% Iron 22.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Collect and measure all the required ingredients.
2. Preheat oven to 375°F.
3. Grease and baking sheet with vegetable oil or cooking spray.
4. Trim crust of bread and slice into 3/4-inch thick slices.
4 In a medium bowl, whisk together milk, egg whites, eggs, baking powder, pepper, Gruyere cheese, and mustard until well blended.
5. Dip each bread slice, one at a time, in this egg mixture soaking it well on both sides.
6. Arrange on the baking sheet then repeat with other slice.
7. Arrange apples and cheese and remaining bread in layers. Sprinkle with brown sugar after every layer.
8. In a mixing bowl, beat together milk, egg whites, eggs, and baking powder.
9. Spoon remaining egg mixture on each slice.
10. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on each slice.
11. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown.
12. Remove from oven and stand for 5 minutes
13. Serve while still warm accompanied by your favorite sauces.