- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Raisin Pumpernickel Recipe
|Cold water||2 1⁄4 Cup (36 tbs)|
|Stone ground cornmeal||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Molasses||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Vegetable oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Active dry yeast||2 Tablespoon|
|Lukewarm water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Whole wheat flour||3 1⁄2 Cup (56 tbs)|
|Rye flour||3 1⁄2 Cup (56 tbs)|
|Raisins||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 4507 Calories from Fat 473
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 54 g83.7%
Saturated Fat 6.8 g33.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 4063.5 mg169.3%
Total Carbohydrates 951 g317.1%
Dietary Fiber 161.1 g644.4%
Sugars 213.8 g
Protein 137 g274.9%
Vitamin A 9.6% Vitamin C 7.1%
Calcium 83% Iron 332.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Remove from the heat and stir in the salt, molasses, and oil. Cool to lukewarm.
3. Sprinkle the yeast over the warm water and stir to dissolve. Add the honey and let stand in a warm place for 10 minutes.
4. Add the yeast mixture to the cornmeal mixture. Stir in 2 cups each whole wheat flour and rye flour to form a soft dough.
5. Turn the mixture onto a board dusted with some of the remaining flour. Knead the dough, gradually incorporating enough of the remaining flours to make a non-sticky dough. Knead for 10 minutes, or until very smooth and satiny.
6. Knead in the raisins. Place the dough in a clean oiled bowl, turn the dough to oil the top lightly. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
7. Punch the dough down and divide in half. Shape each half into a well-rounded loaf and put on an oiled baking sheet dusted with cornmeal.
8. Cover and let rise until doubled in bulk, about 45 minutes.
9. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
10. Bake for 45 minutes, or until done. Rub the surface with butter for a soft crust or place in the draft from a window for a crisp crust. Cool on wire racks.