- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Raisin English Muffins Recipe
|Dry yeast||1 Tablespoon (1 Package)|
|Warm water||1 Cup (16 tbs) (105Â° To 115Â°)|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||3 Tablespoon, softened|
|Raisins||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||6 Cup (96 tbs), divided|
|Cornmeal||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 4466 Calories from Fat 509
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 58 g89.9%
Saturated Fat 29.5 g147.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 119.4 mg
Sodium 2143.6 mg89.3%
Total Carbohydrates 885 g295.2%
Dietary Fiber 41.7 g167%
Sugars 151.5 g
Protein 109 g218.8%
Vitamin A 27.2% Vitamin C 7%
Calcium 49.7% Iron 257.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Preheat oven to 360 degrees.
2) In a large mixing bowl, combine yeast and water and allow the solution to stand for 5 minutes.
3) In a small saucepan, mix together butter, sugar, salt and milk.
4) Cook the mixture over medium to low heat with constant stirring until the butter is melted.
5) Cool down the hot mixture to lukewarm (105° to 115°).
6) Combine the yeast and milk mixtures.
7) Stir in 3 cups of flour and raisins.
8) Beat into a smooth mixture.
9) Create a stiff dough after adding 2 1/2 to 3 cups of flour.
10) Knead the dough for 2 minutes on a floured surface or until it forms a slightly sticky ball.
11) Take a bowl, grease it well and place the dough ball in it.
12) Cover and keep the dough in a draft free, warm place (85°) and allow it to rise for an hour or until it doubles in size.
13) Punch down the dough and separate it into two halves.
14) Generously sprinkle cornmeal on a smooth surface and place each dough half on it.
15) Using palms of hands make a 1/2 inch thick circle with one dough half.
16) Using a 2 3/4-inch cutter cut the dough into round shapes (taking care that no dough is left over as it cannot be reused).
17) Sprinkle cornmeal on 2 baking sheets.
18) Place cut dough rounds on baking sheets with the cornmeal side facing down (other side of the dough should be cornmeal free).
19) Take care to see that the each dough round is placed 2 inches apart from the other.
20) Repeat the same for the other dough half.
21) Now, cover the dough rounds, keep them in a draft free, warm place (85°) and allow them to stand for half an hour or until doubled in size.
22) Take an electric skillet and grease it lightly.
23) With a spatula, place the dough rounds (with the cornmeal side facing down) in the skillet placed in the oven.
24) Cook the dough rounds for 6 minutes.
25) Turn the rounds to the other side and cook for another 6 minutes.
26) Cool the muffins on wire racks.
27) For serving the muffins, split and toast them until browned lightly.
Use an airtight container to store the muffins.