- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Quinoa And Corn Grits Polenta With Roasted Red Pepper Sauce Recipe
|Sunflower seeds||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Water||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Extra virgin olive oil||2 2⁄3 Tablespoon (2 Tablespoons Plus 2 Teaspoons)|
|Quinoa||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), rinsed|
|Corn grits||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Fresh thyme sprig||3|
|Red pepper sauce||1 Teaspoon|
|Extra virgin olive oil||4 2⁄3 Tablespoon (2 Teaspoons Plus 1/4 Cup)|
|Roasted red peppers||13 Ounce (1 Jar Or 2 Cups)|
|Red wine vinegar||2 Teaspoon|
|Freshly ground black pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground red pepper||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2037 Calories from Fat 1183
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 129 g198.3%
Saturated Fat 9.9 g49.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0.2 mg
Sodium 3804.8 mg158.5%
Total Carbohydrates 171 g57.1%
Dietary Fiber 15.8 g63.1%
Sugars 14.9 g
Protein 31 g62.7%
Vitamin A 315.2% Vitamin C 443.6%
Calcium 30.6% Iron 64.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Toast the sunflower seeds in a medium skillet, shaking the pan frequently, for about 3 minutes or until golden.
2. Put 3 cups of water into a medium saucepan, add the salt and 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, and bring to a boil. Add the quinoa and corn grits, stirring constantly. Reduce the heat to simmer. Add the thyme sprigs and cook, covered, stirring from time to time, until the quinoa and grits are cooked, about 15 minutes. Stir well, and remove the thyme branches.
3. Stir the sunflower seeds into the quinoa-and-grits mixture and spread into a lightly oiled 11 X 9-inch baking dish. Let cool for 20 minutes or until firm.
4. Cut the polenta into quarters and then each quarter section into 4 triangles.
5. Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons of oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the polenta triangles and cook, stirring frequently, until golden, about 2 minutes per side.
6. Place 4 triangles on each plate.
To make the red-pepper sauce:
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Peel away excess paper from the garlic and cut the top 1/5 off the heads. Place the garlic in an ovenproof dish. Drizzle with 2 teaspoons of the oil, and sprinkle a pinch of salt over each head. Cover with foil and cook for about 40 minutes, until softened. Let cool and squeeze the garlic into a blender.
2. Add the remaining 1/4 cup of oil and the peppers, vinegar, salt, pepper, and ground red pepper to the garlic. Blend until smooth. Transfer to a small pot or microwaveable dish, and heat until warm. Spoon over the Quinoa and Corn Grits Polenta.