- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Nutritious Quinoa for Breakfast Recipe Video
|Quinoa||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Vegetable stock||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Salt||1 Teaspoon (to taste)|
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon (as required)|
Calories 154 Calories from Fat 51
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 6 g8.7%
Saturated Fat 0.74 g3.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 655.5 mg27.3%
Total Carbohydrates 21 g7%
Dietary Fiber 2.8 g11%
Sugars 0 g
Protein 5 g9%
Vitamin A 0.1% Vitamin C
Calcium 1.5% Iron 8.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Wash the quinoa very well, scrubbing it between the hands and rinsing often until water comes out clear. This will take 3 to 4 times.
2. Place quinoa in a fine sieve colander and allow the water to drain well.
3. Heat a skillet with some oil, over high heat, until very hot.
4. Add the quinoa and toast, stirring constantly, until quinoa turns golden and starts crackling, about 10 to 15 minutes.
5. Bring the low sodium vegetable stock or water to a boil in a separate pot.
6. Add the toasted quinoa.
7. Season with salt – if using stock use salt sparingly.
8. Cover and reduce heat to low and allow steaming for approximately 20 minutes.
9. The grains should be soft but not mushy. Add a little bit more water if necessary.
10. It is cooked when there is a translucent center with a ring on the outside.
11. Fluff with a fork and serve.