- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Quick Wheatmeal Loaves Recipe
|Plain flour||8 Ounce|
|Salt||2 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Sugar||1 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Yeast||1⁄2 Ounce, dried|
|Warm water||1⁄2 Pint|
|Cracked wheat||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
Calories 179 Calories from Fat 7
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0.82 g1.3%
Saturated Fat 0.17 g0.83%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 198.5 mg8.3%
Total Carbohydrates 39 g13%
Dietary Fiber 5.2 g20.8%
Sugars 0.4 g
Protein 5 g10.8%
Vitamin A 0.7% Vitamin C 0.1%
Calcium 1.4% Iron 6.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Preheat oven very hot to 450°F, 230°C or Gas No. 8
2) ) In a large mixing basin sift flour and salt.
3) Cut in fat and rub into the mixture keeping a hollow at the centre.
4) In a bowl blend fresh yeast with warm water.
5) Dried yeast has to be dissolved with teaspoon of sugar in the hand-hot water.
6) Sprinkle dried yeast and keep aside for 10 minutes.
7) Add yeast liquid.
8) With a wooden spoon make a rough dough and knead until dough leaves the sides of the basin.
9) Place dough on a clean working surface and knead well until firm for 10 minutes.
10) Separate dough in two.
11) Divide each piece of dough into four and roll each portion into a round smooth balls with hands.
12) Press down firmly at first then ease up.
13) Arrange the balls, close together, in a greased 1 lb (450 g) bread tin.
14) Baste tops with salt water and sprinkle with cracked wheat.
15) Keep two loaves in a polythene bag.
16) Tie loosely and let stand until the dough rises to the tops of the tins.
17) Bake in oven for 30 minutes.
18) Remove from tin and place on a wire tray.
19) Serve sliced.