- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Quick Raised Corn Bread Recipe
|Thick sour milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Granular yeast||1⁄2 Ounce (2 packages)|
|Corn meal||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Whole wheat flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Dry non fat milk||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Wheat germ||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Eggs||2 , beaten|
|Bacon drippings||3 Tablespoon|
Calories 376 Calories from Fat 118
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 13 g20.2%
Saturated Fat 5.4 g27%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 80.4 mg
Sodium 652 mg27.2%
Total Carbohydrates 51 g17%
Dietary Fiber 4.5 g18.2%
Sugars 17.5 g
Protein 15 g29.3%
Vitamin A 1.6% Vitamin C 1.2%
Calcium 25.5% Iron 12.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Preheat oven to 350°.
2) Grease a 8x8x2" pan and place aside.
3) In a saucepan, scald milk by adding sugar.
4) Allow the milk to cool down until warm.
5) Add yeast to dissolve in warm milk of 110° to 115° temperature.
6) In a large bowl, sift together cornmeal, whole wheat flour, salt, and dry milk.
7) Add wheat germ to stir in.
8) Stir in eggs and bacon drippings into the yeast-milk mixture.
9) Fold in dry ingredients, and stir well to prepare the batter.
10) Pour the batter into the greased pan.
11) Place the pan inside oven and immediately bake for 30 minutes.
12) Allow to cool the bread.
13) Slice the bread and serve.
The bread might crack, if the top crust browns before the center has finished rising. This can be avoided by allowing the batter to stand for 20 minutes until it rises partially. Place the batter inside the oven to bake at 375° instead of the usual 350°.