- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Simple Queen Of Puddings Recipe
|White bread slices||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Lemon rind||1 Teaspoon|
Calories 326 Calories from Fat 66
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 7 g10.5%
Saturated Fat 3.7 g18.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 106.2 mg
Sodium 319.1 mg13.3%
Total Carbohydrates 56 g18.8%
Dietary Fiber 1.3 g5.1%
Sugars 29 g
Protein 8 g15.9%
Vitamin A 5.2% Vitamin C 3.8%
Calcium 8.3% Iron 1.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Remove the bread crusts and cut slices into large cubesâ€”should be about 2 oz (50 g).
2) Grated the lemon rind finely.
3) In a saucepan, combine the milk and butter and bring just up to the boil.
4) Remove pan from heat and add the bread, sugar and finely grated lemon rind.
5) Cover pan with a lid and allow to stand for 15 minutes.
6) When the bread turns soft, whisk to a puree and then stir in the egg yolks.
7) In a well-buttered 1 1/2-pint (scant 1-litre) shallow baking dish, pour the mixture.
8) Place in the centre of a moderate oven (350°F, 180°C or Gas No. 4) and bake for 25 minutes or until the mixture has set firm.
9) Over the surface of the pudding, carefully spread the jam; if the jam is a little stiff, warm it first.
10) Whisk the egg whites until stiff, sprinkle in half the sugar and whisk again until thick and glossy.
11) Using a metal spoon, lightly fold in the remainder of the sugar.
12) Spoon the meringue over the pudding and roughly swirl the surface.
13) Again place at the centre of the oven and bake just long enough to brown the meringueâ€”about 10 minutes.
14) Serve the pudding hot with cream.