- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
|Butter||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Boiling water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Water||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
Calories 589 Calories from Fat 396
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 44 g68.1%
Saturated Fat 18.1 g90.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 209.9 mg
Sodium 186.8 mg7.8%
Total Carbohydrates 2 g0.6%
Dietary Fiber 0.07 g0.29%
Sugars 0 g
Protein 44 g87.2%
Vitamin A 20.1% Vitamin C 22.4%
Calcium 3.5% Iron 49.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Wash the quail well and thoroughly pat dry with a kitchen towel.
2. Season the quails with salt and pepper and dredge with flour.
3. In a large casserole or Dutch oven, melt the butter over a medium flame.
4. Sear the quails well on all sides.
5. Lower the flame and add the lard to the quails.
6. Pour the boiling water, cover the pot and reduce the flame.
7. Simmer until the birds are tender, adding more water if required while cooking.
8. Once the liquid has evaporated, add the butter and brown the birds until well coated with butter.
9. Remove the birds onto a serving platter and keep warm
10. Make the gravy by blending in the flour into the butter and drippings in the pan.
11. Gradually add the water, stirring and cook till thick and smooth.
12. Serve the quail with the gravy.