- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Puree Of Yellow Split Peas Recipe
|Low sodium bacon||1 Ounce, coarsely chopped|
|Onion||1 , coarsely chopped|
|Carrots||2 Large, coarsely chopped|
|Celery stalks||4 , coarsely chopped (With Leaves Reserved)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), finely chopped|
|Split peas||2 Cup (32 tbs) (Yellow Or Green)|
|Bouquet garni||1 (Made With Parsley Stems, 1 Bay Leaf, And A Few Thyme Sprigs)|
|Vegetable stock/Chicken stock||2 Quart|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1473 Calories from Fat 14
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0.8 g1.2%
Saturated Fat 0.18 g0.91%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 3867.3 mg161.1%
Total Carbohydrates 337 g112.4%
Dietary Fiber 144 g575.9%
Sugars 56.9 g
Protein 129 g257.4%
Vitamin A 495.5% Vitamin C 41.9%
Calcium 15.2% Iron 82.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a saucepan, add the bacon.
2. Cook the bacon over moderate heat for about 3 minutes, until the bacon is crisp and the fat comes out.
3. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Keep aside.
4. In the same saucepan, add the onion, carrots, celery, and garlic.
5. Saute until softened and the onions are lightly golden.
6. Stir in the split peas, bouquet garni, and the stock.
7. Bring the mixture to a boil.
8. Reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered and stirring occasionally, for about 45 minutes, until the split peas and vegetables are very tender.
9. Remove the saucepan from the heat.
10. With a slotted spoon, lif the bouquet garni out of the soup and discard.
11. In a blender or food processor, puree the soup until smooth.
12. Take the saucepan again and pour the soup back into it.
13. Return the saucepan to the heat.
14. Stir in the reserved bacon and simmer for about 3 minutes longer.
15. Season with the pepper.
16. Garnish with the reserved celery leaves and serve.