- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Pupusa for Children Recipe Video
|Masa harina/Corn flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Water||5 Cup (80 tbs)|
|Mexican cheese||1 Cup (16 tbs), shredded (use a blend of cheeses if you like)|
|Cooking oil||2 Tablespoon|
Calories 224 Calories from Fat 112
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 13 g19.7%
Saturated Fat 4.9 g24.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 23.1 mg7.7%
Sodium 572 mg23.8%
Total Carbohydrates 22 g7.3%
Dietary Fiber 1.2 g4.9%
Sugars 1 g
Protein 7 g14.3%
Vitamin A 0.8% Vitamin C
Calcium 27.3% Iron 7.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Combine the masa, water and salt in a bowl and stir to combine into a dough.
2. Divide the mixture into 6 balls and flatten each one into a 3 inch disk.
3. Place 1 tbsp of shredded cheese in the center of the disk and carefully fold in the edges to enclose the cheese.
4. Flatten the disk, covering the cheese and form into 1/4 inch thick disks (about 5-6 inches across).
5. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large saute pan. Add 2-3 pupusas at a time and cook for 4-5 minutes on each side for a total of 8-10 minutes.
6. Serve warm with guacamole or sour cream or salsa or vinegary coleslaw
*Make sure to buy masa harina (sold at most groceries) which is different from cornmeal
To Freeze: After step 4, place on sheet tray and freeze for 30 minutes or until frozen then transfer to a ziploc bag label and freeze up to 4 months. When ready, defrost in fridge for 24 hours and follow steps 5-6.