- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Pumpkin Cake Recipe
|All purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Granulated sugar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Pumpkin pie spice||1 Teaspoon|
|Cream of tartar||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Canned pumpkin||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Vegetable oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Cocoa powder||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Not A Mix)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3666 Calories from Fat 1289
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 146 g224.6%
Saturated Fat 28.7 g143.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1110.5 mg
Sodium 3482 mg145.1%
Total Carbohydrates 560 g186.6%
Dietary Fiber 32.3 g129.2%
Sugars 313.7 g
Protein 73 g146%
Vitamin A 408.2% Vitamin C 17.8%
Calcium 142% Iron 150.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Beat egg whites with cream of tartar until foamy-white and double in volume in a second large bowl with electric mixer at high speed; sprinkle in remaining 1/2 cup granulated sugar, a tablespoon at a time, until meringue stands in firm peaks.
3. Stir egg yolks, pumpkin, vegetable oil and water into flour mixture until blended, then beat with mixer at medium speed, just until smooth.
4. Fold into meringue with wire whip until no streaks of white remain. Pour batter into an ungreased 9-inch deep metal or ovenproof ceramic bowl.
5. Bake in slow oven (325°) 1 hour, 15 minutes, or until top springs back when lightly pressed with fingertip.
6. Invert bowl, placing over edges of 3 custard cups to allow cake to hang above counter; cool.
7. Loosen around edge with knife; turn out onto a wire rack.
8. Prepare seven-minute frosting. Place 1/2 Cup of frosting into each of two small bowls. Tint remaining frosting orange with yellow and red food coloring. Tint one bowl frosting green with food coloring. Stir 10X sugar and cocoa into frosting in second bowl to make a stiff dough.
9. Place cake on serving plate. Cover with orange frosting, making deep long swirls with spatula from bottom to top of cake to give pumpkin shape.
10. Cut a piece from stem-end of banana to make stem for pumpkin. Place on top of cake into frosting. Cover banana with green frosting; spread remaining green frosting to indicate leaves, following the photograph on page 108.
11. Roll out chocolate frosting on a piece of aluminum foil to a 1/4 inch thickness; cut into two triangles and a generous crescent, as shown in our picture. Press into side of pumpkin to make "jack o' lantern" face