- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Pumpernickel Bread Recipe
|Cold water||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Cornmeal||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Boiling water||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Caraway seeds||1 Tablespoon|
|Yeast||1 Tablespoon (1 Package)|
|Lukewarm water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Mashed potato||2 Cup (32 tbs), cooled|
|Rye meal/Flour||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
|Whole wheat flour||2 Cup (32 tbs) (Approximately)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 8104 Calories from Fat 664
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 78 g119.4%
Saturated Fat 13.2 g66%
Trans Fat 3.9 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 9299 mg387.5%
Total Carbohydrates 1685 g561.7%
Dietary Fiber 297 g1188.1%
Sugars 31.9 g
Protein 302 g603.1%
Vitamin A 4.8% Vitamin C 300.7%
Calcium 70.6% Iron 309.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Add the salt, sugar, shortening and caraway. Let stand until lukewarm. Meanwhile, soften the yeast in the lukewarm water.
3. Add the potatoes and yeast to the cornmeal mixture. Add the rye flour and enough whole wheat flour to make a stiff dough, stirring first with a spoon, then with the hands.
4. Turn the dough out on a lightly floured board and knead until the dough is smooth and elastic and does not stick to the board.
5. Place the dough in a greased bowl, grease the surface, cover with a towel and let stand in a warm place (80° to 85° F.) until doubled in bulk.
6. Divide the dough into three or four portions and form into loaves. Place, seam side down, in greased loaf pans. Grease the tops of the loaves, cover and let rise until double in bulk.
7. Bake in a preheated moderate oven (375° F.) about one hour.